Saturday, September 6, 2008

Journal Quilt Project II: Elements

I submitted this piece called Fire Dance to the Quilt Art Journal Project II: Elements (Earth, Water, Air, Fire) exhibit. It was not selected to travel with the exhibit. This piece is special to me because I made it while visiting Vikki Pignatelli for 4 wonderful days last July. I was learning and experimenting with her techniques for improvisational design and curved piecing. The border/binding is pleated and has little contrasting flaps sewn in. It has a lot of texture and is 3-D.

My intepretation of the Elements theme: Fire Dance shows the spirit of God in waves of energy, moving over the earth during creation. In the earth’s initial stages, God’s spirit, represented by fire (coral), the waters and air (teal), and the earth (black) are all inter-mingled while the spirit creates their form and they become distinct entities.

No comments: