Friday, June 4, 2010

Gift for My Pastor - Be Still


I made this piece in 2006. Psalm 46:10 is one of my favorite verses. "Be Still and know that I am God". I left off the word "God" because during this time I was also studying Moses's encounter with God at the burning bush and is given God's name as "I Am". Then Jesus uses the phrase frequently: I am... the way, the truth and the life, the alpha and omega, the bread of life, the living water, etc. So when I made this piece I wanted my focus to be on knowing the great "I Am". The all encompassing God who has come down in human form.

My pastor was visiting my house recently and saw this piece and commented on how much he liked it. It reminded him of a ceiling in a place he had traveled that had inspired him. So I gave it to him.

It's always nice as an artist to have people appreciate your work and to see your work hanging in places you visit. I have enough pieces hanging in my own house. It was time for a new home for "Be Still".

2 comments:

Suzanne Kistler said...

As you know, I too, love that verse. How wonderful to have the quilt treasured by your pastor! I love your incorporation of I am and your explanation. It's a quilt that speaks volumes.

Deborah said...

It's a beautiful piece!