Thursday, May 13, 2010

New Work - "Shedding New Light on an Old Block"

My newest work is called "Shedding New Light on an Old Block" This is a 16" x 16" piece made for the Alliance of American Quilts challenge fund raiser to be auctioned off in the Fall of 2010. The challenge this year is called "New from Old". I am a sponsor and member of AAQ. You can read more about the organization here.

I hunted for old blocks in the Jinny Beyer book titled The Quilter’s Album of Patchwork Patterns. The star block I chose is called the 'Godey Design' and dates back to 1858.
To make the design my own, I used modern techniques to focus rays of light on the blocks, and then I embellished the quilt with silk floss and crystals. The star blocks are machine pieced and then appliquéd to the background. The cotton fabrics are entirely designed by Jinny Beyer.

2 comments:

Robbie said...

lisa, This is VERY cool!!! What a great piece! Splendid idea!!!

Suzanne Kistler said...

I like it!

Is it mounted on a black base? or is that part of the quilt?

Very cool, very cool, indeed!